You have no idea how much I get excited when I think about Greek food. It takes me back to my childhood where my Yiayia (grandmother) used to cook for me and I could eat anything I wanted. Nowadays I have a very limited diet but I sometimes ask my mom to cook for me some of her special dishes.
What I love about Greek food is how many vegetables are used in the recipes and I have learned to eat them all since a little girl. I did get my green on a daily basis and I still do.
I want to share my favorite Greek foods. I will try to make some of these recipes for the blog. I searched the web for some accurate recipes but stumbled upon Greek webpages. Not a good idea. So I looked further and found english alternatives for this recipes.
1) Tzatziki. This is a wonderful yogurt-cucumber dip that can be served next to a Greek salad or with roasted lamb.
2) Obviously the Greek salad. This was the first recipe on my blog. It’s easy, colorful and fun. You can serve this next to meat or chicken. You can also have it as a main dish if you wish to keep it simple.
3) My mom still cooks this at least once a month. I love to have it for dinner or lunch. It is a good way to eat your protein and vegetables at the same time. I present you the eggplant Moussaka.
4) It is very difficult to find tender grape leaves to make this recipe, but once you do, it becomes heaven. Dolmathakia are stuffed grape leaves with rice.
5) I left dessert for the end. My mom and my grandmother make semolina Halva all the time. My mom sometimes makes it sugar-free for my sister. This recipe is a combination of simple ingredients that taste like heaven.
I hope you try some of this recipes! Kali oreksi! (Bon appetit)